Friday, November 7, 2008

NOV. 7 UPDATE: Photos of the last of fall

I went for a walk on Monday evening, enjoying one of the last days of nice fall weather, and got a number of nice photos.

I think I've mentioned how a person could take gorgeous sunset photos nearly every evening here:





I just love the colors this time of year -- the browns and golds of the fields and the purples and pinks of the sky.

You'll notice the soybeans have been harvested nearby, but the corn has not. And now, with the big blizzard that hit the state on Wednesday, who knows when it will be. Right around here we didn't get more than an inch of snow, but pretty much on all sides of us people were hit with more. And the weather is supposed to stay cold for at least a week, so no chance of it melting. It's not looking good for any crops that didn't get out of the fields before Wednesday.

(You'll notice I don't have any photos of the storm. For one thing, it wouldn't make that great a photo, since we didn't get all that much snow. But I've also been a winter wuss, so far. I haven't even peeked my nose out to get the mail. Maybe after the wind dies down -- and after I find my long underwear.)

Dave was working on preparing for winter on Monday night while I was out for my walk:

Sofia had fun dancing around outside while her daddy loaded some firewood to put in the shed, so we would have some that wasn't snow-covered.

Dave is working on getting the woodstove functional. All it really needs is to have the stovepipe connected, but we'll all feel better if the cement board is in place on the walls of the stairs surrounding the stove -- and to put that in, Dave needed to finish some detail work on the stairs. So over the past few days he's added the trim board that needed to be there, and he'll hopefully get all the cement board up tonight. (Out in the cold, with the wind howling outside. And he was out working until midnight last night, when the wind was howling even louder. Can't say the guy isn't dedicated!)

The eventual plan is to put tile on that cement board on the stair walls, but Dave figured out today that for now we can just paint the cement board and put off that tiling project until later.

... Dave's also been working on wiring. He's got the addition nearly done -- we've considered getting that room finished off first, including insulation and drywall. This would be good for several reasons: The pipes coming into the house would be well-insulated from the cold, and (here's the idea I like) it's possible that if we get that area nearly finished, we could start using it for storage and maybe get a little relief from the stuff crammed into every crevice of this old farmhouse. ... The more I think about it, that might not do all that much good on a practical level, since I'm not sure what cleared corner would actually help us feel less crowded, but maybe it would help me psychologically just to know we've cleared a little space.

... I took Sofia to her Me and My Shadow (boy, isn't that a true way to describe it!) toddler and mommy art class on Wednesday morning. I thought it was odd -- no one there mentioned the election! Perhaps some people were depressed, and perhaps some people were elated, but you'd think if either one of those was the case you'd bring it up in conversation. I guess it's the South Dakota niceness showing itself -- no one wants to offend anyone else by bringing up politics. I just thought this election might transcend those rules. Apparently not.

... My opinion of the election? Well, I'm not supposed to advertise my biases as a journalist, but let's just say Dave and I got out the champagne as we watched Barack Obama's acceptance speech. I think Maya Angelou said it best -- she was so happy to see that her country was "growing up."

1 comment:

Catnap40 said...

the photo of the road cresting the hill is incredible. I love the light.