Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Maybe we can move in this weekend!

I helped at a pancake breakfast last Saturday morning, and told people excitedly that we were going to move in last weekend! We just had a couple little things to finish before we got to moving.

Well, those couple little things still aren't quite finished, so the big "move-in weekend" fizzled. But this is all for the best, really -- we're now getting things done that would be a real pain to try to do once we're already living there.

We need to have the baseboard heaters installed in our bedrooms before we move in, and Dave was working on that and figured out that it would work better to have the wire come in from the bottom than from the back, so we had to cut a slit and then do some drywall repair. It's ready for painting now, once I get some touch up paint.

We're also still waiting for one heater -- Mertz ordered it and send us one with the wrong voltage. Here's hoping the new one arrives this week!


In the meantime, Dave started working on trim -- the particle board in the beams is now hidden on the living room side! Looks much better, I think.

It's not perfectly fitted (it was tough to get the beams trimmed exactly underneath), but I'm not going to stress about it -- it adds to the rustic look. We still have to do this trim on the kitchen side -- I'll need to stain it and varnish it, too. Then perhaps we'll be ready to move in!

Dave also gave in and put up my ridiculous chair rail. Looks lovely! (Even if it did take a whole evening.)

The gate for around the stove arrived -- it's quite nice, I think. Still need to attach it in some way.

Menard's took back the dishwasher, but returning it took a solid 45 minutes. (Very glad I decided to do it without the kids along! That would have been horribly stressful.) The replacement dishwasher should arrive Oct. 28.

We're going to go buy a refrigerator today! I went shopping at Sears and found one that was still in perfect condition but had been returned, so it was $300 cheaper than it had been. And I've got some gift certificates from Sears (I got them points from our credit card), so we're going to buy a refrigerator for $300! I'm pretty excited about that.

Blue, in case you are wondering, is absolutely fine. No sadder, no wiser -- she's still happily chasing cars. But she is a little slower (she walks with a bit of a hitch), so most of the time she doesn't get to the road before the cars have passed by. And I think she's keeping her distance a bit more in general. But taking off when she hears tires on gravel is a pretty strong instinct, I guess!

Gotta run -- it's Sofia's dance class day!

No comments: