Thursday, January 21, 2010

Frosty mornings

We've been grateful for some milder weather in the past week or so -- no temps below zero, and we've often awoken on several mornings to beautiful frost sculptures outside.


I love how ordinary things -- even this junk pile behind the sauna -- are turned into works of art in the frost.

I do so love these trees! I'm so happy they are so easy to see out the east addition picture windows.




Even the old chicken coop (rehabbing that is on the to-do list, by the way -- we'd like to get chickens in the spring) looks lovely, nestled under such a nice frost arbor.

I am sure I wasn't the only one out taking pictures in the past few days. In fact, I know I wasn't, as I saw one other photographer out the front door:

Sofia saw me run out with my camera and straight away grabbed her camera to take her turn outside.

She didn't just run out and snap a few shots and hurry back in, either. She really did some searching for subjects. Here are a few of her photos:




I'd say she's got quite an artistic eye for a 4-year-old! Maybe she needs her own Etsy shop ...

... The weather is due to turn, though. Freezing drizzle starts around noon tomorrow, and some level of a winter storm is supposed to follow. That's South Dakota weather -- we must appreciate its beauty while it lasts! (And try not to grumble too much when it gets ugly.)

3 comments:

collieguy said...

Is no ugly. Just us being selfish about implications for the unprepared;). VERY nice work, Sofi!

Unga Dave

Mary Losure said...

WOW!!!!!!

Catnap40 said...

Kid's have great eyes! It's nice to seen things from their viewpoint.
Way to go Sofi!