Thursday, September 2, 2010

Local Food Challenge: Day One: And we begin!

All sorts of successful bloggers have discovered this wonderful fact of the Internet: Why post your writing in just one place when you can post it in two?

So, for the month of September, I'll be cross-posting here the articles I'm writing on the Frederick blog. This is all for the Three Rivers Local Food Challenge that Frederick Forward is sponsoring -- check out the website for the challenge to get all the details.

Here's a bit from the first blog entry:

7 a.m.: Push the snooze button.

7:20 a.m.: Jump out of bed, remembering I need to put gas in the car before I go to my sister’s to babysit. Shower, make coffee, pack bags, etc.

8:04 a.m.: Rush the kids out the door and into the car.

8:15 a.m.: Remember, as I’m driving and eating one of the whole-wheat bread and Nutella sandwiches I made for the kids and myself, that it’s the first day of the Local Food Challenge. Groan. Console myself that coffee and Nutella were on my exemptions list anyway.

8:45 a.m.: Get gas.

8:55 a.m.: Get to my sister’s house. Discuss what I’ll fix for the kids for lunch; wonder why in the world I didn’t bring any vegetables from our house! For a brief moment, believe the only local food in her house are a few sliced tomatoes. Eventually unearth corn and apple slices in the freezer — along with some local liver sausage. Realize that this “eating adventure” looks like it’s going to start with liver! But not for the kids. They get meatloaf and potatoes (not local).

Read the rest of the entry here.

No comments: