Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's a costume party!

Halloween was definitely a trick and not a treat for my and my sister's kids this year, since they were all fighting off H1N1 on Oct. 31. We had been planning a trip to Iowa and to the Cities over that weekend -- Nama in St. Paul really had her heart set on having Sofia and Erik in the Cities to see the street festival that is held nearby each year on Halloween -- but all that had to be skipped. So, to make up for that, we planned a costume party for the family a week later, when everyone was healthy (more or less).

The rule was they everyone, grownups included, had to wear a costume. So, we had in the room:
  • a giraffe,
  • a frog,
  • a ladybug,
  • a butterfly,
  • a witch,
  • a genie,
  • a Jordanian woman,
  • a union suit man,
  • a storybook princess,
  • a hatted guy,
  • a cleaning lady, and
  • an old farmer.
Isn't that giraffe cute!

Erik didn't want to wear his costume at first, but pretty soon he really got into being a frog.


We had a fishing pond -- everyone got to fish.

Dad made a big deal of "reeling in" his catch -- looks like he got a big one here! (I think it was a "juice fish.")

The storybook princess and the butterfly enjoy their "juice fish."

Here's that crazy Jordanian woman running the penny toss. (My costume looked better when I had my scarf around my head.)

We had mentioned the day before that we'd have a balloon game, but I was thinking of skipping that game since there seemed to be enough going on. Sofia wouldn't have it! I had no idea how important the balloons were, but to Sofia, it wasn't really a party if we didn't have balloons. And I have to say, they were a big hit! Note to self: Balloons are a bigger deal than you think.

Sofia is just about to had after the balloons in this picture. Erik was pretty happy about the balloons, too, even if he's looking more subdued here.


And a grand time was had by all -- even if the party did go past the butterfly's bedtime!

No comments: