Sunday, November 29, 2009

O Kitchen, My Kitchen ...

Yes, I'm singing praises to my kitchen ... well, not quite, though I have spent a good deal of time singing in my kitchen lately! We had a small Thanksgiving dinner, just Dave, me and the kids, and I have to say, I don't think I have ever been so happy cooking as I was Thursday morning. It was just so darn pleasant to have that length of counter space, to have all the ingredients handy, and to do the dishes as I needed to. (Thanks again for putting it all together, Walt and Dave!)

Several things are new in the above photo: We picked up the missing cabinet door from IKEA when we were there last Monday, as well as the toe kicks, which are now in place. The under-cabinet lighting is installed -- I don't think I took a picture of that before, though it's been up a while already. And I put down one of my rugs -- I wove it when Dave and I were in Finland in 2003, staying with my grandmother, and I didn't use it at all in the house in Boone, as the colors didn't go with anything there. But it looks like I made it for this kitchen! The colors are near matches to my color scheme, with the addition of red, which I think adds a nice touch of brightness (as in that dish towel).

... We did Christmas Cookie Baking, Part I today. Mari and I don't get cookie baking done like we used to -- too many children "helping" the process, I think. So we'll have to finish another day. That also went well in the new kitchen, I think!

... We're working frantically to get the house in shape for the Tour of Homes on Dec. 6. The list is long, though nothing on it is terribly hard or time-consuming ... except there are only a few hours in the day when I don't have "helpers." We'll see how much we can get done between now and then -- good thing the new coffee pot works!

No comments: