Friday, August 1, 2008

AUG. 1 UPDATE: Home again, plus one

Hello, all!

Mari did a nice job of filling in for me while I was dealing with more urgent matters! I'm glad she was able to get some pictures of our new addition -- the cute little one, not the one that will house the mudroom! -- up right away.

Here are a few more hospital photos:

Erik really had a furrowed brow when he was born! It's smoothed out some since then. Now he looks a lot more like Sofia did when she was a baby.


Sofia is very interested in her baby brother!


Here are all five grandchildren -- Amara is not the littlest one anymore!

All four girls had pigtails when they arrived at the hospital for a visit, but Amara's didn't stay in very long.


Wednesday afternoon we decided it was family nap time. I had already taken my nap when I got up to take this picture.


We are now home, adjusting to life with its new demands, challenges and joys -- last night was a little rough for those of us who like to sleep at night, which apparently does not yet include little Erik. I didn't get to sleep at all until close to 2 a.m., and then I slept about an hour at a stretch before being awakened by an absolutely ravenous little boy, until 8 a.m. Then I did get to sleep for almost two hours before I got up for the day. He actually was hungry all that time -- my second milk had not fully come in yet, but apparently his "second stomach" had, and the minute amounts of colostrum just weren't cutting it for him. But I just let him nurse as much as he had energy to do, knowing that's the way to get my body to produce milk sooner. And by midmorning, my milk was in, so the rest of the day has gone much better -- he doesn't have to work so hard to get his tummy full. And he's asleep now, letting Mommy have a little time on the computer!

Sofia is having to adjust a bit, too, of course -- mostly to the fact that Mommy can't pick her up right now (no heavy lifting after the C-section), and I'm not always available to help her when she needs it, if Erik needs me right then, too. But that's going a little easier because I've got backup for the week -- Dave's parents are both here for the weekend, and Mary is staying until next weekend. Sofia always has a good time with her Nama.

... OK, time for a nursing break ... I'm back!

... And, since Don is here, too, work on the house continues! Dave took the whole week off for the big baby event, so he and Don took advantage of having an extra day to work on the house today.

They accomplished a lot on the addition in one day, I'd say.

The walls were up and all the roof trusses were on by suppertime.

You can see the difference in roof pitches here, but I think it still works. The pitch of the addition and the pitch of the main building's overhangs are nearly the same.


The men went back to work after supper, putting up some sheathing on the roof.

... Just for fun, here are some pictures taken by Sofia this evening. She's not a bad little photographer!



No comments: