Monday, June 9, 2008

JUNE 9 UPDATE: A door! Well, a doorway, anyhow

Walt worked on framing up a space for the entry door today, while Paavo nearly got all the siding off the west side of the granary.

They likely would have gotten further if the 20 percent chance of precipitation that I saw in the forecast this morning had not turned into at least three short but intense bouts of showers. I am used to drought conditions here -- in my memory as a child and teenager, a 20 percent chance of rain would never water the garden or the fields when we needed it. I'm constantly surprised when rain actually falls with such a forecast now. Of course, I shouldn't complain about our delays, as the crops really do need some rain. And I haven't had to water the garden lately, which is nice, too.

The door we're putting in, although a very nice door otherwise, apparently is missing some hardware that we'll have to find somewhere. Ah, well, the blessing and curse of buying things cheap at an auction. (A door that likely would have cost us at least $700 we got for $70, at a building supply auction in Eagan, MN, along with eight windows at rock-bottom prices. I think we still got a good deal, though there have been some small issues to deal with.)

My assignment for tomorrow is to order the rest of the windows we need. I've been doing a lot of research, and I keep finding reasons why the windows I want are hard to get here, and the windows that are available here I don't want. We'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mary Losure said...

I think it is part of our throwaway culture that little parts for big things are hard to find, so we throw away the big things.

Once, we were putting in new kitchen counter, and we thought, why throw away a perfectly good stainless steel sink? So we built the counter to fit the sink, only to find that reinstalling the sink meant you needed something called "sink clips", which cost about 20 cents each but were not available ANYWHERE for that sink.

Except the internet, of course. Three cheers for the internet,which I think might even be helping stop so many things getting thrown away.

Does anybody else think so???

Mary Losure said...

Wow!! It does look like a house!! How are you coming on the hardware for the door?